Adon picks up pieces of burnt home
ADON Dinsmore may be sifting through the ashes of his house that burnt down on Saturday night but he's in good spirits.
The 37-year-old Eimeo man arrived home from a weekend in Brisbane on Sunday to find his home at 9 Sailaway Dr destroyed.
"The neighbours and a few other people close to the action rang me up and it was quite a shock, but when I heard the sirens in the background I knew it wasn't a joke," Mr Dinsmore said.
The civil project manager built the house eight years ago and lived there with his nine-year-old son.
His daughter, 12, visited regularly.
Mr Dinsmore began rummaging through the burnt remains with the help of a friend from Bundaberg yesterday.
A few pairs of underwear, a pair of jeans and shirts are among the few possessions that were spared.
"Of all the things (I had) the one thing I would have liked to keep was a wooden chest and my Harley that my dad left for me... and I've got my chest and my Harley," he said.
"It's taken a lot away but it won't take my smile away."
"The biggest thing that's keeping me going is that some a***hole sitting in their home is thinking they've ruined my life but they have no idea. I see it as a massive opportunity to start over," he said.
"It was an initial shock to find out but once that passed it's been fine."
The support from friends and the community had been overwhelming, offering everything from undies, beer and a place to stay.
"I'm in great sprits and I'm surrounded by great people..." he said.
Mr Dinsmore said he was lucky to be covered by insurance.
"The only time I shed a tear was when I had to say bye to my kids (before leaving Brisbane) and I was told I was insured," he said.
A Mackay police spokesman said the fire was being treated as suspicious.
"Investigations are ongoing and no arrests have been made yet," he said.