Attack ends in jail term

A 42-YEAR-OLD man was jailed for seven months this week after pleading guilty to two counts of breaching a court order, and one of failing to appear in court.

Charles Mene, of East Deep Creek, appeared in custody in Gympie Magistrates Court on Monday and was told by Magistrate Maxine Baldwin "physical violence is simply not on".

Police prosecutor Sergeant Michael Phillips told the court that in June 2009, a neighbour of the complainant rang police after seeing Mene push the 20-year-old around, punch the person twice in the face with a closed fist, throw a large rock which struck the person, knee them in the abdomen and threaten to slit the throat of the person's dog.

The attack breached a court order issued against Mene, the court heard.

An order was then breached on the Southside of Gympie at the weekend, Sgt Phillips said.

He said police drove past a home in Furness Rd about 8.20am on Sunday, where they saw the defendant sitting in the garage.

They were shortly afterwards flagged down by the complainant.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Legal Service representative Mark Oliver represented Mene.

He said Mene had been at the house for 13 days before being picked up by police.

Mene was sentenced to six months jail for the first breach, with a parole release on February 19 and one month jail, suspended for 12 months, for Sunday's breach.

For his breach of bail, he was sentenced to a month in jail, but with the same parole release date.

"Two months jail must be a clear deterrent to you," Mrs Baldwin said.

She said she had taken into consideration the mitigating circumstances which led to Mene's failure to attend court in Townsville on December 6 - the death three weeks ago of his brother, who Mene had been caring for.

In other court matters Jan Holt, 47, of Chatsworth, pleaded guilty and was convicted of two counts of breaching bail.

Holt, who told the court she had only recently completed 72 hours community service work, was fined $300, but had the fine converted to 15 hours community service.

The court heard a "combination of circumstances" led to the breaches on August 6 and again on October 28.