Aussie coronavirus death toll jumps to 23


Coronavirus cases in Australia have passed 5100 and the national death toll has risen to 23 after Victoria and Queensland announced two more victims this morning.

A woman in her 70s has died in a Victorian hospital, while an 85-year-old man died overnight at Darling Downs Health Service Hospital in Toowoomba.

"All of our condolences, the condolences of the whole of Queensland, go to that gentleman's family," Queensland Health Minister Steven Miles said this morning.

"Each of these deaths reminds us of just how important our effort to slow the spread of this outbreak is."

Queensland also reported another 57 cases, bringing its total to 838. That came after Victorian Health Minister Jenny Mikakos announced another 68 new cases, pushing the state's total over 1000 and the national tally over 5000.

Disturbingly, 57 of those new cases were from community transmission.

"This is a significant increase from 39 yesterday," Ms Mikakos said.

The total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Australia now stands at 5105.

As of Thursday morning there were 2298 in NSW, 1036 in Victoria, 838 in Queensland, 367 in South Australia, 392 in Western Australia, 71 in Tasmania, 84 in the Australian Capital Territory and 19 in the Northern Territory.


Twenty-three people have now died - two in WA, three in Queensland, 10 in NSW, five in Victoria, two in Tasmania and one in the ACT.

Australia's first coronavirus fatality was on Sunday, March 1.

James Kwan, a 78-year-old Perth man, was among 163 Australians evacuated from the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan and quarantined at Howard Springs in the Northern Territory.

The second death came on Tuesday, March 3. The 95-year-old woman was a resident at the Dorothy Henderson Lodge in Macquarie Park, in Sydney's north.

Two other residents of the same nursing home later died - an 82-year-old man on Sunday, March 8, followed by a 90-year-old woman on Saturday, March 14.

On Friday, March 13, a 77-year-old woman died in a Sydney hospital after recently arriving from Queensland. She had developed symptoms on the plane, was taken to hospital and died the same day.

An 86-year-old man died in a Sydney hospital on Tuesday, March 17, making him the state's fifth death and the country's sixth.

On Thursday, March 19, an 81-year-old woman died in hospital, bringing the death toll to seven. NSW Health said she had close contact with another confirmed case at Ryde Hospital.

The eighth death was a 77-year-old woman who was rushed to hospital after disembarking the Ruby Princess cruise ship in Sydney on March 14. She died in hospital on Tuesday morning, March 24.

The ninth death was another cruise passenger. Queensland man Garry Kirstenfeldt, 68, died in the afternoon on Wednesday, March 25, in intensive care at Toowoomba Hospital after returning from Sydney where he disembarked the Voyager of the Seas.

Two men in their 70s died in hospital in Victoria that same night, marking the state's first deaths and the country's 10th and 11th. On Thursday, March 26, another Victorian man in his 70s died in hospital. All three had pre-existing conditions.

Later that day, another man died in Joondalup Hospital in Perth after fainting in his home. Ray Daniels, 73, had disembarked the Celebrity Solstice cruise ship in Sydney six days earlier.

On Saturday, March 28, another Dorothy Henderson Lodge resident died in hospital, bringing the national death toll to 14.

The 15th and 16th deaths were announced moments apart on Sunday, March 28 - a 75-year-old female Ruby Princess passenger who died in Caboolture hospital, north of Brisbane, the previous night, and a man in his 80s who died at a Melbourne hospital.

On Monday, March 30, a woman in her 80s died at North-West Regional Hospital, making her Tasmania's first death and the country's 17th. She had been on board the Ruby Princess.

The national capital's first death came over the weekend, but was announced by ACT Health announced on Monday afternoon, March 30. The woman in her 80s died at Canberra Hospital after acquiring the disease overseas.

Tasmania reported its second death and the nation's 19th on Tuesday, March 31. The man in his 80s died at Royal Hobart Hospital. He had also been on board the Ruby Princess.

The 20th death came on Tuesday, March 31. The 95-year-old woman was the ninth NSW death and the fifth Dorothy Henderson Lodge resident to die.

On Wednesday, April 1, a NSW grandmother died at Orange Base Hospital in NSW's Central West. She was the sixth Ruby Princess passenger to die and the first NSW death outside of Sydney.

Victorian officials announced on Thursday, April 2, that a woman in her 70s had died in hospital, making her the state's fifth death and the country's 22nd.

Later that morning, Queensland announced that an 85-year-old man had died overnight at Darling Downs Health Service Hospital in Toowoomba.