Tigers fullback Kevin Naiqama (second from right) is mobbed by teammates after scoring against the Knights.
Tigers fullback Kevin Naiqama (second from right) is mobbed by teammates after scoring against the Knights. Ashley Feder

Brooks leads Tigers to comfortable win over Knights

RUGBY LEAGUE: Wests Tigers may have consigned Newcastle to their third straight wooden spoon with Luke Brooks starring in their 33-12 win at McDonald Jones Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

After being held tryless in the first half, the home side scored two tries in four minutes midway through the second to give themselves a fighting chance but the Tigers had done too much damage early on.

The result means the Knights remain on just eight competition points with the Tigers jumping them into 15th after breaking their seven-game losing streak.

Brooks was particularly influential for the visitors, scoring a late try and landing a field goal to go with two linebreaks, four tackle breaks and one offload.

It was all the away side in the first half.

Off the back of a Jaelen Feeney error Tigers playmaker Tuimoala Lolohea threw a lovely cut-out pass to Malakai Watene-Zelezniak to open the scoring.

Minutes later the Tigers had another shot when Kevin Naiqama broke down the right flank but David Nofoaluma couldn't hang on to the pass.

Another chance went begging for the Tigers when Lolohea bombed an almost certain try under the sticks but they redeemed themselves when young hooker Jacob Liddle dummied and dived over after back-to-back penalties.

The Tigers' left-side attack continued to terrorise the Knights' right edge and they opened up the defence again in the 27th minute when Naiqama sliced through.

The Tigers extended their lead to 20-0 in the 31st minute with a penalty goal before the Knights had a late chance before half-time but a ball from Sione Mata'utia to brother Peter was ruled forward.

Knights hooker Danny Levi had a chance to put his side on the scoreboard shortly after the break but he was held up over the line.

The Tigers extended their lead in the 55th minute when a lovely ball from Naiqama put Nofoaluma in the corner before the home side finally scored a try with Lachlan Fitzgibbon diving over in the 62nd minute.

Four minutes later the Knights were in again with Dane Gagai setting up Joe Wardle.

Brooks killed off any hopes of a comeback with a field goal and then crossed for a try just before the full-time siren to put the result beyond doubt.