Wiremu Edward Johnson (right) and Jordan Tyrone Alberts were given jail sentences in Mackay Magistrates Court.
Wiremu Edward Johnson (right) and Jordan Tyrone Alberts were given jail sentences in Mackay Magistrates Court. Facebook

'Cowardly' pair jailed for attack

TWO men involved in a cowardly attack on a man in Eimeo have both been sentenced to jail.

The pair claimed they thought their victim had sexually abused children, however, a prosecutor told a court there was no indication the victim had done so.

Wiremu Edward Johnson, of Beaconsfield, was jailed for two years, with a conviction recorded. He will be eligible for parole on February 15, 2018.

Jordan Tyrone Alberts, of Grasstree Beach, was sentenced to 18 months jail, with a conviction recorded, and will be eligible for parole on April 17, 2018, although Magistrate Scott Luxton said given his history, Alberts gaining parole was not so likely.

The two bailed up the man on February 3 and accused him of child abuse.

Johnson thrashed the man with a wooden bat, while Alberts had a lesser role, kicking the man.

Mr Luxton described the attack as "having an element of cowardice", said that Johnson and Alberts were bigger than their lone victim, and the attack was "two on one".

Their victim was left with injuries that were not expected to be permanent. He was awarded $1000 in restitution, $500 from each of his attackers.

Johnson, 25, and Alberts, 33, faced Mackay Magistrates Court jointly Wednesday for sentencing, via videolink from jail.

They had previously pleaded guilty to assault occasioning bodily harm while armed and in company.

Johnson also pleaded guilty to a total of 23 charges, including car theft, possessing a shortened shotgun, possessing explosives and two counts of dangerous driving, two counts of possessing drugs, breaching bail, and two counts of disobeying the speed limit, three counts of driving without a licence and registration, two counts of failing to stop, receiving tainted property, driving a vehicle with incorrect registration and possessing drug utensils

Police prosecutor Sergeant Sean Franklin, who focused on the assault and dangerous driving charges in the hearing, said Johnson twice evaded police in a car.

Johnson, who has never held a licence, crashed during one of the "pursuits", after which he discarded the shotgun and ammunition in a bag, which was later retrieved by police.

Alberts pleaded guilty to two counts of obstructing police, two counts of failing to appear in court, contravening police, public nuisance and possessing tainted property.