Hail and lightning strikes reported in severe thunderstorm
UPDATE 10.20PM: There have been reports of hail in Maleny and lightning strikes in Flaxton as severe thunderstorm tear across the Sunshine Coast.
Energex has also reported the loss of power to homes and businesses in the Palmwoods area.
At 9.50pm, severe thunderstorms were detected near Mapleton moving northeast.
They were forecast to affect the area northwest of Esk, Yarraman and Yandina by 10:20 pm and Maroochydore, the area south of Noosa Heads and Coolum Beach by 10:50 pm.
Severe thunderstorms have already gone through Maleny, Montville, Palmwoods, Nambour, Mapleton and Yandina.
Emergency Management Queensland advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Avoid using the telephone during a thunderstorm.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- For emergency assistance contact the SES on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 10.50pm.
A more general severe thunderstorm warning is also current for the Gulf Country, Northwest, Wide Bay and Burnett and parts of the Peninsula, Northern Goldfields and Upper Flinders, Central Highlands and Coalfields, Central West, Channel Country, Capricornia, Darling Downs and Granite Belt and Southeast Coast districts.