ETU had mail on new director
THE Palaszczuk Government has been forced to admit a senior government job was granted to the man whose CV was forwarded to a minister, Mark Bailey, by the Electrical Trades Union - but only after journalists tracked the man down.
Premier Annastacia Palaszcuk, who has campaigned in two elections on a platform of transparency and accountability, yesterday insisted for the second day that she did not know who the man in question - Energy Queensland board director Mark Algie - was or whether he was given a job.
Ms Palaszcuk also insisted she did not need to ask Mr Bailey who it was as Mr Algie's name was redacted in emails released under Right to Information laws last month.
Mr Bailey has also declined to reveal if the job was given.
But within hours of The Courier-Mail and The Australian asking questions regarding Mr Algie's employment, Anthony Lynham - who replaced Mr Bailey as Energy Minister last year and was not involved in the awarding of the directorship - released a statement confirming Mr Algie was granted the director's job.
Ms Palaszcuk had personally announced his appointment alongside Mr Bailey on October 4, 2016, 14 days after the email containing Mr Algie's CV was sent to Mr Bailey's private account.
Mr Algie declined to answer questions yesterday, pointing to Dr Lynham's statement which said his appointment was subject to the usual board appointment process "including the endorsement of Cabinet".
When Ms Palaszczuk was asked whether unions were involved in the normal government recruitment process, she responded: "How does it work in News Corp? I don't know, I'd like to know too." Mr Algie also works for News Corp Australia.
Opposition Leader Deb Frecklington said Mr Bailey should be sacked over the access he gave the ETU.
"Annastacia Palaszczuk's Government is run by the unions for the unions," she said.
"The only people who suffer are Queenslanders who have to pay record power prices."
Mr Bailey, however, has repeatedly insisted the access was not inappropriate.