Gympie residents urged to stay inside during deluge
AS MINOR flood, strong wind and dangerous surf warnings continue for areas of the region, Gympie Regional Council has advised people to stay safe and indoors overnight.
People are advised to tune into ABC radio for weather and flood height updates, drive to the conditions and avoid flooded or closed roads.
The message is simple: If it is flooded - forget it.
The Bureau of Meteorology is due to issue revised severe weather and flood warnings later this evening.
Emergency Management Queensland advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure loose outdoor items.
- Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
- Beware of fallen trees and powerlines.
- Surf Life Saving Australia recommends that you stay out of the water and stay well away from surf-exposed areas.
- Check your property regularly for erosion or inundation by sea water, and if necessary raise goods and electrical items.
- If near the coastline, stay well away from the water's edge.
- Avoid driving, walking or riding through flood waters.
- Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
- For emergency assistance, contact the SES on 132 500.