RACQ CQ Rescue winched a seriously injured fisherman from a trawler 150km offshore on Saturday.
RACQ CQ Rescue winched a seriously injured fisherman from a trawler 150km offshore on Saturday. RACQ CQ Rescue

Injured fisherman winched to safety

A FISHERMAN with a badly injured hand has been winched from a trawler 150km off Mackay and flown to hospital by RACQ CQ Rescue.

The 41-year-old suffered a serious cut to his right hand on board the fishing trawler Vision and required urgent medical evacuation, a CQ Rescue spokeswoman said.

CQ Rescue left abut 8.45am Saturday to rendezvous with the 14-metre trawler near Hydrographers Passage.

A critical care paramedic and rescue crewman were on board and radio contact was made with the vessel on approach, the spokeswoman said.

The rescue crewman was winched onto the deck of the fishing trawler and within 10 minutes had secured the injured man into an Air Rescue Vest.

Both were winched into the helicopter and the man arrived at Mackay Base Hospital in a stable condition just after 10am.


Four rescue missions

It was the first of four rescue missions on Saturday in which CQ Rescue clocked up more than 1100km.

An 18-year-old man with a broken right arm, a head injury and possible internal injuries was airlifted from Clermont to Mackay Base Hospital about 11.30am after he was injured when his car swerved off the road into a ditch.

It is believed the man was driving to work about 4am when he swerved to avoid cattle on the road. He was unconscious for some time before being able to call for help.

He was transported from Clermont hospital by helicopter with a doctor and critical care paramedic on board, arriving at Mackay Base Hospital just after 3pm.

At 4pm a patient with a medical condition was transferred from Proserpine to the Base hospital. Returning to the hangar at 6.30pm the helicopter was then tasked to an emergency distress beacon search near Caulder Island.

The CQ Rescue spokeswoman said the beacon had been activated about 74km east of Mackay and the helicopter crew was able to quickly hone in on the signal and make radio contact with a vessel which was experiencing engine trouble.  

Another vessel was assisting the disabled boat and Volunteer Marine Rescue (VMR) was was en route to the scene to tow the vessel back to shore.

CQ Rescue maintained overhead watch in the dark until the VMR boat arrived. The helicopter returned to base in Mackay at 8pm.