Evidence of govt's splurge on drought relief assets 'lost'
POTENTIALLY important evidence linked to the Beattie and Bligh governments' splurge on drought relief water assets has been "lost", it is believed.
The continuing drain on public funds caused by maintenance of these assets will be the focus of a new parliamentary inquiry next month.
It is understood some departmental officials have said they are unable to find some relevant documents.
Many documents linked to the failed Traveston Crossing dam proposal have been hidden under Cabinet confidentiality rules and others permanently concealed in the files of the government-owned dam company, which is able to claim commercial confidentiality.
The State Development, Infrastructure and Industry Committee, chaired by Gympie MP David Gibson, yesterday received a public briefing on water asset management from the Queensland Auditor-General, the Department of Energy and Water and SEQ Water.
The inquiry follows a critical Auditor-General's report to Parliament earlier this year.
Mr Gibson yesterday said the inquiry would look at the management of assets like desalination plants, Western Corridor recycling infrastructure and the northern interconnector pipeline, which was to take Traveston Crossing dam water to Brisbane.
He said public submissions to the inquiry would be welcome until October 25 and public hearings would be held from November 15.
The review will look at possible management improvements.