The Gympie man has been jailed following a two-year crime spree and multiple police chases. File photo
The Gympie man has been jailed following a two-year crime spree and multiple police chases. File photo

Man jailed after racking up 40 charges in 2-year crime spree

A GYMPIE man who racked up almost 40 charges during a two-year crime spree which began and ended with police chases has been jailed this week.

The court heard police were patrolling Alexandra Hills in January 2018 when they spotted Ian Charles Victor Mcilvenna acting suspiciously while riding a motorbike, and realised he was trying to avoid being seen.

Officers followed Mcilvenna to a dead end where he mounted the footpath and continued to flee at speeds of 20-30km/h before hitting another dead end, dumping the bike and trying to run.

After trying to taser him, officers were able to arrest Mcilvenna who told them he had a homemade gun and a glass pipe in his pocket.

Police also discovered he was wanted on a return to prison warrant.


* SNEAK PEEK: Inside Gympie's new-look RSL

* EXPOSED: The 32 Gympie drink-drivers with the highest BAC

* Man accused of spitting, trying to stab victim at Gympie hotel

Almost two years later on November 20, 2019, Mcilvenna fled from police who were trying to arrest him on numerous offences including armed robbery, stealing and unlawful use of a car, the court heard.

Mcilvenna was driving a Holden Commodore when he sped away from police down Rocks Road towards Eel Creek Road, forcing officers to deploy a tyre deflation device which successfully deflated his two front tyres.

This did not stop Mcilvenna, who drove on Exhibition Road towards the Gympie CBD at speeds of up to 100km/h, often crossing onto the wrong side of the road.

He drove onto the Bruce Highway heading south, weaving between oncoming cars at speeds between 60km/h and 100km/h, before turning onto Centro Way.

Mcilvenna's front left tyre "peeled away" from the car but he kept going, crossing onto the wrong side of the road again and causing several cars to veer off the road to avoid crashing.

The right tyre then came off the car but he continued to drive without front tyres at 100km/h through an active road works zone and a school zone.

Mcilvenna got back onto the Bruce Highway and travelled south, reaching 150km/h until he hit traffic and tried to ram the back of a truck, which caused a crash and allowed police to catch him.

Between the first chase and the second, Mcilvenna racked up dozens of charges including stealing, possessing counterfeit cash, possessing explosives (bullets), possessing drug utensils, driving stolen cars, possessing weapons, obstructing and evading police officers, damaging police property, and more.

Mcilvenna, now 42, appeared in the dock of the Gympie Magistrates Court this week, and pleaded guilty to all 37 charges.

Magistrate Chris Callaghan gave Mcilvenna a head sentence of two and half years, disqualified him driving or holding a licence for three and half years. He will be eligible for parole in May, 2021.