THE estranged mum of a homeless man hailed as a hero after he rushed to help those caught up in the horrific Manchester terror attack has urged him to get in touch as thousands of dollars in donations pour in for him.

Chris Parker, 33, cradled a dying woman and wrapped an horrifically injured child in merchandise T-shirts after a suicide bomber struck during an Ariana Grande concert.


Now his mother Jessica Parker posted a message on Facebook with a link to the story asking him to find her, reports Metro.

She said: "This is my son who has been estranged from me for a long while. I had no idea he was homeless but he was extremely brave last night.

"'Please get in touch with me Chris Parker."

In a comment on another post she adds: "No matter what the past, he has done so well and I am very proud of him xx."


Meanwhile, more than $37,000 has been raised by people touched by Mr Parker's actions - hailing him a "hero" - on a Gofundme page set up in his honour.

Chris Parker, the homeless hero who ran back to help victims during Manchester terror attack.
Chris Parker, the homeless hero who ran back to help victims during Manchester terror attack. BBC

The organiser of the page, Michael Johns, said he was inspired by Chris' selflessness and courage amid the horror, and had been compelled "to make an effort to help one of our most vulnerable in society".   He is yet to make contact with Chris, but says if phone calls and emails don't work, he will head to Manchester himself to find him.  

The Facebook post by Chris Parker’s estranged mother asking him to make contact.
The Facebook post by Chris Parker’s estranged mother asking him to make contact. Facebook


Mr Parker was in the foyer of the arena - where he regularly goes to beg for money as concerts kick out - when a huge blast ripped through the exiting crowd and left 22 people dead and 59 people injured.

Mr Parker says he was knocked to the floor by the blast but immediately got back up and began trying to help the wounded.

He recalled: "Everyone was piling out, all happy and everything else. As people were coming out of the glass doors I heard a bang and within a split second I saw a white flash, then smoke and then I heard screaming.

"It knocked me to the floor and then I got up and instead of running away my gut instinct was to run back and try and help.

"There was people lying on the floor everywhere.

"I saw a little girl … she had no legs.

"I wrapped her in one of the merchandise T-shirts and I said 'where is your mum and daddy?'

"She said 'my dad is at work, my mum is up there'."

He said he thought the child's mother had died from her injuries.

The horrific aftermath of the bomb.
The horrific aftermath of the bomb. Supplied


Mr Parker, who has slept rough in the city for about a year, said he also tended to a woman who was badly hurt from the bombing with serious leg and head injuries.

He said: "She passed away in my arms. She was in her 60s and said she had been with her family.

"I haven't stopped crying. "The most shocking part of it is that it was a kids' concert.

"There were nuts and bolts all over the floor. People had holes in their back.

"It's the screams I can't get over and the smell ... I don't like to say it but it smelled like burning flesh.

"I don't think anything has sunk in yet. It's just shock."


Another homeless man, Stephen Jones, was sleeping near the arena when he heard a huge bang, which he initially thought was a firework.

He described how he had to pull nails from a little girl's face.

The 35-year-old told ITV News: "It's just instinct to go and help if someone needs your help and it was children.

"It was a lot of children with blood all over them - crying and screaming.

"We were having to pull nails out of their arms and a couple out of this little girl's face."

The former bricklayer, who has been sleeping rough for more than a year, added: "Some lady, she got cut from her side so my mate had to hold her legs up and then an ambulance guy came and a fireman and they assisted after that.

"We just held her legs up because we thought she was just going to bleed right out."

This article was first published in The Sun is reproduced with permission