Popular vintage market comes to Toowoomba
A NEW vintage market is coming to town and promises to be an exciting addition to Toowoomba's market calendar.
Based in the Lockyer Valley, the mother and twin daughters team behind the Handmade Expo and Vintage Market, decided to further expand their growing number of venues to include the Garden City.
The idea for the expo was born seven years ago, when mother Miriam Bain and her daughters Liesa Gifford and Micky Hasted were sitting at a trash and treasure market trying to sell handmade wares and having to compete with second-hand, imported and mass-produced goods.
"It wasn't going so well," Ms Bain said.
"A quick brain-storming session was had and six weeks later we opened the doors in August 2008 to 100 stallholders and 3,000 customers through the door."
They now have sites throughout Queensland, at Bundaberg, Ipswich, Rockhampton and, soon, Toowoomba.
"The quality of vintage stalls that have applied are amazing, old furniture, tins, jewellery, clothing, china, collectables and so much more coming from the vintage era, we are just blown away" Ms Gifford said.
Ms Bain said they were passionate about quality handmade goods and encouraging people to shop local.
"The majority of our stallholders are local to Toowoomba.
"We have the die-hard market people who travel around but three quarters are local.
"I think handmade is a really big thing, upcycled and vintage is also popular too.
"We thought that would be a good mix to have at the markets."
She said the date (on the 5th Sunday of the month) was to work around the other markets in the areas.
The Handmade Expo and Vintage Market will be held at the USQ Clive Berghofer Recreation Centre on Sunday, August 30 from 9am until 2pm.
The next date for the year is Sunday, November 29.
Rock a Buy Boutique Markets
- Time: 9am to 1pm
- Where: The Salo Centre, St Ursula's College, Rome St, Toowoomba
- 2015 market dates: Sunday September 13, Sunday, November 8, Sunday, December 5
Margaret St Markets
- Time: 8am to 2pm
- Where: Margaret St, the Toowoomba CBD
- When: The first Sunday of every month
- 2015 market dates: September 6, September 20, October 4, November 1, December 6
- Visit www.margaretstmarkets.com.au/
Toowoomba Farmers' Market
- Time: 7am to noon
- Where: Toowoomba Showgrounds
- Will be held on the last Saturday of each month from Saturday, September 26
- Visit the Toowoomba Farmers' Market on Facebook
Queens Park Markets
- Time: 8am to 1pm
- Held on the third Sunday of every month
- Where: Upper Queens Park
- Time: 7am to 12.30pm
- When: Every Sunday
- Where: PCYC, 219 James St
STALLHOLDERS AT THE HANDMADE EXPO
- Deer and Fox Collective - quality, unique and memorable hand-made objects, arts and craft supply store
- Lulu & Jess: furniture, antiques and vintage, collectibles, rustic and vintage homewares
- Simply Sweet Cupcakes and Bake: specialising in cupcakes of all flavours, children's birthday cakes, cakes, morning teas and sweet treats.
- Koda: unique one-off items of jewellery and fashion
- Addicted to Buttons: button jewellery, homewares, accessories
- The Old Dairy: soaps, candles, vintage and home-made items
- Ruby & the Fox: handmade unique wearable art pieces for everyday.