New cameras in crackdown on bad drivers
NEW red light speed cameras will be installed in high-risk intersection hot spots in Queensland from today as police knuckle down on serious crashes related to red-lights and speed.
Assistant Commissioner Mike Keating said the intersections for these new cameras was "carefully selected" by the Queensland Police Service and Transport and Main Roads based on the number and severity of crashes.
The combined red light speed camera will detect motorists who disobey the red traffic light, as well as motorists who speed through the intersection - meaning the camera will also detect motorists speeding through green and amber lights.
"The Queensland Government is committed to road safety and the reduction of road trauma on our communities," Mr Keating said.
"All motorists have a responsibility to drive safely to ensure all Queenslanders get to their destinations safely.
"These cameras will assist in reducing travel speeds at high-risk intersections by operating 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
"We want all road users to be compliant with traffic light signals and also travel at the speed limit through intersections.''
New combined red light speed cameras will be operational at the following intersections by September 24:
• Old Logan Road, Camira at intersection with Alice Street
• Logan River Road, Edens Landing at intersection with Castile Crescent
• Mount Gravatt-Capalaba Road, Mackenzie at intersection with Gateway Motorway
• Warwick Road, Yamanto at intersection with Cunningham Highway
• Bruce Highway, Gympie (Wickham Street) at intersection with Monkland Street
• Bruce Highway, Mt Sheridan at intersection with Coombs Street
• Cunningham Highway, Warwick at intersection with Fitzroy Street.
The combined red light speed camera system was also returned to operation at the intersection of Sheridan and Upward Streets, Cairns after a period of roadworks at this location.
The following new combined red light speed camera systems will be introduced before the end of October 2018:
• Glenlyon Street, Gladstone Central at intersection with Tank Street
• Anzac Avenue, Kippa-Ring at intersection with Boardman Road
• Bruce Highway, Rockhampton at intersection with High Street.
The combined red light speed camera systems will have advisory signs installed prior to the intersection.