Xisco (left) and Theerathon Bunmathan of Muangthong United celebrate Xisco's goal against the Roar.
Xisco (left) and Theerathon Bunmathan of Muangthong United celebrate Xisco's goal against the Roar. Thananuwat Srirasant

Roar chiefs unhappy about keeper's injury

BRISBANE Roar is set to lodge an official complaint to the Asian Football Confederation after goalkeeper Jamie Young cut his arm on a broken net hook in his side's 3-0 away loss to Thai club Muangthong United on Wednesday night.

The Roar's defeat ended their hopes of qualifying for the AFC Champions League knockout stages for the first time.

Attention now switches to Sunday's A-League semi-final against Melbourne Victory at AAMI Park.

But whether Young will be available is unknown after he was forced off in the first half against Muangthong.

The Roar keeper was attempting to prevent Xisco giving Muangthong the lead in the 37th minute when he crashed into the post at Thunderdome Stadium.

The aftermath was not only a goal to the hosts but also a deep cut to Young's arm, which hit a damaged net hook on the post.

Young, who was replaced by youngster Tomi Bilic, was later taken to hospital.

The incident came less than a week after another Brisbane custodian Michael Theo, suffered a season-ending knee injury in an A-League elimination final against Western Sydney Wanderers.

"The goalposts cannot be of danger to any player and clearly they were," Roar football director Craig Moore said in expressing his disappointment at how Young's injury occurred.

"We hope that he's going to be OK (for the game against the Victory) but I won't have any more information until he gets stitched up and we get a medical report."

Jamie Young's blood on the hoop that caused his injury.

The Roar squad was due to fly out of Thailand on Thursday morning, and arrive in Melbourne on Thursday night, when they were to meet up with a host of key Brisbane players who remained at home to prepare for the A-League semi-final.

It was always going to be a tough ask for the understrength Roar in Thailand.

Brisbane coach John Aloisi made nine changes to the side that started last Friday night against the Wanderers at Suncorp Stadium.

Defender Luke DeVere and marquee man Thomas Broich were the only two players to retain their starting spots.

The Roar were gallant and had chances to take the lead before Xisco scored.

Winger Shannon Brady fired over the bar in the 16th minute after being set up by striker Joey Katebian.

Two minutes later, Muangthong failed to deal with Broich free-kick, which ended up on the head of D'Agostino, who couldn't direct his effort on target.

D'Agostino later forced Muangthong keeper Kawin Thamsatchanan into a fine save on the stroke of halftime to deny Brisbane an equaliser.

Brisbane also had their moments in the second half before Muangthong sealed their win - and a place in the last 16 - with goals in the final 10 minutes to Chanathip Songkrasin and Teerasil Dangda.