Gavel, scales of justice and law books
Gavel, scales of justice and law books

Same-sex family’s dad’s turn to front city court

A TOOWOOMBA family torn apart by same-sex affairs that have been played out in the city's court recently has continued with the family patriarch now fronting court on a wilful damage charge.

The man's daughter had initially appeared in court last week for taking a baseball bat to her mother's car after she discovered her mother was having an affair with her girlfriend with whom she'd been in a same-sex relationship for more than three years.

The court was told the woman's mother had since moved in with her former girlfriend and they had custody of her two children.

The 22-year-old mother of two, who had previous convictions for assault and one for wounding, was placed on three years probation.

She spent last weekend in custody after she became involved in an altercation with her ex-partner at a Toowoomba primary school where she had gone to pick up her biological daughter on Friday.

For that she was ordered to do 100 hours community service after she pleaded guilty on Monday to causing a disturbance at a school and breaching a domestic violence order.

Her father, who had been in court supporting his daughter on Monday, appeared before the court today on a charge of wilful damage arising from the family breakdown.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Catherine Nielsen told the court the 46-year-old had gone around to the Harristown residence which his daughter had previously shared with her then partner to collect her property.

There was no-one else at the residence and as he collected his daughter's property he noticed a painting hanging on the wall, she said.

Because it was a painting he and his then wife had bought together during a trip overseas, he had become enraged.

He took the painting off the wall, placed it on the floor of the bathroom and urinated on it, Sgt Nielsen said.

He pleaded guilty to a charge of wilful damage.

His solicitor Troy Krahenbring told the court his client had acted irrationally due to the stress he felt upon finding out his wife of 20 years had left him for their daughter's girlfriend.

Magistrate Robbie Davies said it was "understandable" the man's emotions had boiled over but it could not be condoned.

Mr Davies fined the man $250 with no conviction recorded.