A BUTCHER who seriously assaulted a security guard has narrowly escaped jail time despite a "tactical" ploy by his former lawyer putting his remorse into question.

In September last year, Robert Phillip Dunn, 25, dealt a sickening blow to Shane Savy who came to break up a fight Dunn was involved in at the Duporth Tavern carpark.

Dunn landed one punch to Mr Savy's head and then "crash tackled" him into the ground, rendering him unconscious.

Robert Phillip Dunn, 25, was spared prison for the assault of security guard Shane Savy.
Robert Phillip Dunn, 25, was spared prison for the assault of security guard Shane Savy. Chloe Lyons

While Mr Savy has been unable to return to work, suffering dizziness, headaches, memory difficulties, nightmares and sleep problems - Dunn had continued to work for his family business, Cotton Tree Meats.

Before Dunn attacked Mr Savy, he and a group of friends were evicted from the Post Office Hotel for kicking another security guard.

He pleaded guilty to one count of assault occasioning bodily harm in the Maroochydore Magistrates Court in November, but his then-lawyer Kurt Fowler argued Dunn had been fined $756 for public nuisance and was being punished twice.

Today, police prosecutor David Bradley told the court this tactic made Dunn appear less remorseful, but later conceded the move was not reflective of his state-of-mind, but that of the lawyers.

Dunn's new counsel, Adrian Braithwaite, said his client had taken steps to address his alcohol issues including attending counselling and Alcoholics Anonymous.

A cheque for $10,000 had also been made out to Mr Savy, using Dunn's parents money which he intends to pay back.

The court heard Dunn's criminal history was the result of gross intoxication, with entries for public urination, obstructing police, public nuisance and disorderly conduct, starting in 2010.

Magistrate Ron Madsen said he had some "reservations" given Dunn's former solicitor's methods, but recognised his early plea of guilty.

Mr Madsen said while the payment Dunn intended to make to Mr Savy should be taken into consideration it should not seen as a method to buy his way out of prison.

Dunn was handed down a 18 month prison sentence, suspended immediately for four years.

He declined to comment on the matter outside the courthouse.