STAY INFORMED: Fraser Island fire battle continues
FIREYS are working with the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service to contain a vegetation fire burning on Fraser Island this afternoon.
The fire was burning north and south of Wathumba track and to west of the Orchid Beach township as of 11.45am.
QFES sources said fire crews were working to contain a small area of fire in a bid to prevent a possible spread to the Marloo campground.
“You need to keep up to date and decide what actions you will take if the situation changes,” the QFS media updates said.
“People in the area will be affected by smoke, which will reduce visibility and air quality.
Properties are not under direct threat at this time. Call triple-0 (000) immediately if you believe you or your property is under threat.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:
- If you have a bushfire survival plan, refer to it now and be ready to follow it.
- If you do not have a bushfire survival plan, or if your plan is to leave, identify where you will go if the situation changes.
- Close windows and doors to minimise smoke exposure.
- If you suffer from a respiratory condition, keep your medication close by.
- Drive with caution in low visibility conditions.
- Contact your neighbours to see if they need help preparing for the bushfire.
- Consider finding your essential items (e.g., identification documents, prescription medication, food and water, and protective clothing such as a long-sleeved cotton shirt and trousers, and boots) in case you need to leave.
- Consider what you will do to protect your pets and livestock.
- Drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- Advise family and friends of your intended actions if the situation changes.
KEEP UP TO DATE BY:
- Following QFES on Facebook (@QldFireandEmergencyServices) and Twitter (@QldFES)
- Staying tuned to your local radio station. Find your local ABC radio station at https://radio.abc.net.au/help/offline and your local commercial radio station at http://www.commercialradio.com.au/find-a-station/queensland;
- Visiting the Rural Fire Service (RFS) website at www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/map
- For bushfire preparation tips, visit the RFS website: www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au/BushFire_Safety
- For information about road closures, call 13 19 40 or visit www.qldtraffic.qld.gov.au
The next update will be provided when the situation changes.