Aussie terror documents seized in raids by AFP
UPDATE: FEDERAL Police say a terror attack remains likely in Australia but have urged people to go about their Christmas and Boxing Day activities as normal.
The advice comes after the arrest of two men in Sydney - one for possessing a document designed to facilitate a terror attack on Australian soil.
Australian Federal Police deputy commissioner for national security Michael Phelan said there had been a group of people, linked to Islamic State, involved in planning an attack on state and federal institutions around Sydney.
The AFP said it had seized a "significant amount of material" including documents with enough detail to "facilitate a terror attack" during overnight raids.
A rifle, a shortened shotgun and a double-barrelled shotgun were also seized.
Two men aged 20 and 21 were arrested.
The 20-year-old was arrested at his house in Regent's Park on Tuesday afternoon.
The 21-year-old Marsfield man was arrested as part of continuing investigations into the alleged planning of a terrorist attack in Australia.
He had allegedly breached a control order.
Both men will be appearing in Parramatta court on Wednesday morning.
"There was enough (material) there that gave concern to us that something was being planned.
"They were charged in relation to having a document that was designed to clearly facilitate an attack.
"I want to assure everybody that this is part of an ongoing activist that's commenced over a period of time.'
"There is certainly nothing that indicated a specific timeframe or activity.''
So far 11 people have been arrested as part of the Operation Appleby counter terrorism blitz by the AFP and New South Wales police.
Deputy Commissioner Phelan said there were no specific threats of a Christmas Day attack.
But he said he was urging Australians to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activity to the national security hotline.
The National Security Hotline number is 1800 1234 00.
If you are travelling overseas you can call the Hotline on (+61) 1300 1234 01.
Tony Abbott warns of 'heightened level of chatter'
The news came after Prime Minister Tony Abbott revealed on Tuesday there has been a heightened level of "chatter" among "terrorist sympathisers" in the wake of last week's deadly siege in Sydney's Martin Place.
Mr Abbott convened the first meeting of the national security committee of cabinet with the new Defence Minister Kevin Andrews and new Immigration Minister Peter Dutton.
"The briefing from the security agencies today indicated there has been a heightened level of terrorist chatter in the aftermath of the Martin Place siege.
"That's why it's important that people remain alert and aware as well as reassured that our police and security agencies are doing everything they humanly can to keep us safe."
The Prime Minister urged Australians to go about their lives as normal, but said the national terrorism alert level remained on high.
Sydney siege victims laid to rest
A PROMISING young lawyer and a popular cafe manager have been remembered by family and friends at funerals in the wake of last week's siege in Sydney.
The service for Lindt cafe manager Tori Johnson, one of two people killed by Man Haron Monis, was held at St Stephen's Uniting Church near the cafe.
Fellow victim, lawyer Katrina Dawson, was remembered in a separate service in Sydney after the siege that sent shockwaves around the globe.
Mr Johnson's father Ken and Tori's partner Thomas Zinn both spoke at the service before family and friends laid flowers at a marquee set up near the cafe. While the impromptu memorial of flowers in Martin Place was removed respectfully yesterday, notes and messages attached to bouquets will be passed on to the families of both victims and to the 15 survivors of the ordeal.
Some reports said Mr Johnson died as he tried to wrestle the gun from Monis after the 17 victims were taken hostage last Monday.
New South Wales Premier Mike Baird attended the marquee on Tuesday, saying the public could still lay flowers at the site to pay their respects.
Ms Dawson, a promising young lawyer and member of the NSW Bar was remembered in a public memorial at Sydney University on Tuesday.
A private funeral was held for Ms Dawson and attended by family and friends on Monday, but the public memorial was held to celebrate her achievements and role in Sydney's legal community.
Ms Dawson is survived by her three young children.