Mathew Ronald Baker was jailed for two-and-a-half years in Maroochydore Magistrates Court for glassing a publican.
Mathew Ronald Baker was jailed for two-and-a-half years in Maroochydore Magistrates Court for glassing a publican.

Violent glassing leaves 62yo publican unconscious

A man who smashed a beer bottle in a publican’s face in a “completely unprovoked and a cowardly attack” and then tried to eye gouge a witness has been jailed.

Mathew Ronald Baker, 25, blew a kiss to his partner as he was taken away by police after being told the community needed to be protected from his violence.

Police prosecutor Brendan Newman told Maroochydore Magistrates Court the 62-year-old publican of the Jandowae Hotel was standing outside having a cigarette on December 28 last year.

‘Here’s Scotty’: Man threatens to kill while hacking door

Brawling men evicted from pub go back for round two

“The victim has observed the defendant run towards the hotel,” he said.

“As the victim went back into the hotel, the defendant hit the victim with force in the face with a beer stubby.”

The court heard the victim fell to the ground and was unconscious.

“He was bleeding from his nose and had a gash on the right cheekbone,” Sergeant Newman said.

Sgt Newman said a man saw his partner arguing with Baker and went over to see what was happening.

Baker then punched the man in the face.

“The victim and the defendant wrestled on the ground, the defendant was attempting to eye gouge the victim in both eyes,” he said.

“The defendant then bit the victim on the thumb.”

The court heard the publican had a broken nose, two black eyes and a gash on his cheek which needed stitches.

The second victim had a cut to his left thumb and bruising and swelling.

“The assault on the publican was completely unprovoked and a cowardly attack,” Sgt Newman said.

The court heard Baker had entered Coles Express at Mooloolaba when he began arguing with the service attendant in a separate incident on May 30.

“The defendant threatened to get a knife and cut the attendant’s throat and threatened to bash the attendant,” Sgt Newman said.

“The defendant then pulled down the plastic COVID safety shield and was leaning across the counter threatening the attendant.”

Baker the drove away and was intercepted by police where he was breathalysed and returned a reading of 0.195.

The court heard Baker had a history of violent offending,

Baker pleaded guilty in Maroochydore Magistrates Court on Thursday to four charges, including assault occasioning bodily harm and public nuisance.

Baker’s lawyer Charlotte Allen asked for a one year jail sentence so Baker could try to rehabilitate.

Magistrate Haydn Stjernqvist said it was clear Baker had a problem with drugs and alcohol.

“You’re armed with a stubby to a person who had no chance to protect himself,” he said.

“It was out of the blue, random and gratuitous.”

Mr Stjernqvist said the community needed to be protected from Baker’s “appalling” behaviour.

Baker was sentenced to two-and-a-half years in jail, with a parole release date of July 1 next year.

He was also fined $1000 and disqualified from driving for two years.