A womans warning about the deadly threat a himalayan salt lamp poses to pets.
A womans warning about the deadly threat a himalayan salt lamp poses to pets. Contributed

WARNING: Household item's deadly threat to pets

A HIMALAYAN salt lamp might seem like a harmless household item, but the story of Ruby the kitten has become a cautionary tale of the deadly affects they can have on pets.

Pet owners are being warned to keep the lamps out of reach from pets in a Facebook post gone viral by Maddie Smith, who almost lost Ruby.

Maddie first noticed something was wrong on a Wednesday morning when Ruby was walking strangely with her head in an odd position.

"We initially thought this was just because she was so cold, so we got her nice and toasty and left for work as usual," Maddie wrote.

By the afternoon, Ruby had deteriorated dramatically and was rushed to the vets.

"The vets were extremely concerned for her and could see she definitely had neurological problems because she simply could not walk properly, could not hear or see, couldn't even eat or drink properly because she couldn't function her tongue the best," she said.

Ruby's basic senses and abilities were gone in 12 hours, the vets ran tests and noticed extremely high sodium levels in her blood.

"This severe salt poisoning had caused her brain to swell, and ultimately the neurological problems that followed.

Maddie said the salt poisoning was caused by a standard salt lamp in the lounge room which Ruby has licked without her owners realising and ingested the salt.

The Rose Avenue Vet Clinic has shared the warning to pet owners across Australia.
The Rose Avenue Vet Clinic has shared the warning to pet owners across Australia.

"Salt poisoning is extremely deadly to animals and she is basically a miracle to still be here now.

"These salt lamps are addictive to animals, and if they get a taste it becomes just like potato chips are to us.

Her warning to others is simple, keep the lamps out of reach from your fur babies.

"Ruby still has a long road to recovery but we are so glad she's still here with us, with the right nutrition and hydration we should have her back to normal.

"Ruby wouldn't be here today without the help of First Vets who have helped her with every hurdle we have faced with our Ruby the past 11 months we have had her. She's a fighter that's for sure.

Under the care of First Vets, Ruby's neurological signs have resolved and her blood sodium and chloride levels have returned to normal.

 

A womans warning about the deadly threat a himalayan salt lamp poses to pets.
A womans warning about the deadly threat a himalayan salt lamp poses to pets. Contributed