UPDATE: Lifeflight confirms serious burns in oven incident
UPDATE 3.25PM: THE Sunshine Coast-based RACQ LifeFlight Rescue helicopter has released a statement saying it airlifted a 44-year-old woman this morning after an incident involving a gas bottle and an oven at the Kandanga Hotel.
"The RACQ LifeFlight Rescue helicopter was tasked to the scene at 11am after the woman tried to light a gas cooking oven," the statement said.
"She was treated by a LifeFlight Critical Care Doctor and Queensland Ambulance Service (QAS) Flight Paramedic for serious facial burns and possible airway damage.
"She was then airlifted to the Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital in a stable condition."
EARLIER 12.11PM: A KITCHEN staff member has been taken to hospital as a precaution following an unfortunate accident at the Kandanga Hotel this morning.
Hotel duty manager Kaya Mayne said no-one seriously injured in the accident, which was caused by a gas flare-up in one of the hotel's ovens.
"There was no leak, she was just trying to light the oven," Ms Mayne said.
"She's fine, she's been taken away for other medical conditions."
Ms Mayne said the hotel was still operating as normal following the incident which happened just before 11am, and all emergency crews have left the scene.
EARLIER 11.30AM: A WOMAN is being airlifted to hospital after suffering burns to her face and airways at the Kandanga Hotel.
A Queensland Fire Services media spokeswoman said the woman was working in the kitchen of the newly rebuilt hotel when the accident happened just before 11am.
While there was no signs of fire or smoke when QFS crews arrived, it is believed a gas explosion was the cause of the burns.
A Queensland Ambulance Services media spokeswoman said the burns were minor and the woman was currently in a stable condition.
The RACQ Lifeflight helicopter has been called to the scene, but it is not yet known which hospital she is being taken to.